- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 c water
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup ( I use brown rice syrup)
- cilantro chopped, for garnish (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
In a saucepan bring the broth, water and bay leaf to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 15-20 mins. Discard bay leaf.
In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onions in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are translucent
Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms have released their moisture.
Stir in the chili powder and salt
Add the quinoa and 1 cup of the tomato sauce (reserve the rest); lower the heat and cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring once.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350º F.
To prepare the peppers, cut the peppers in half lengthwise and bake them in the oven until crisp-tender.
When quinoa is finished simmering, combine the beans and agave syrup with the cooked quinoa mixture.
Stuff each pepper with the filling, and stand them in a baking dish. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the peppers, sprinkle parmesan cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven; garnish with cilantro, and serve.