This is an unusual but charming combination of- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Portobello Mushrooms and Fresh Green Apples, Red Chili Peppers, Green Onions, Goat Cheese in Balsamic Reduction- absolutely divine recipe I’ve adapted from my new cookbook “Jerusalem”.
you will need
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 5 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs (scant) balsamic vinegar (you can use a commercial rather than a premium aged grade)
- 1 tbs superfine sugar
- 12 green onions, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch segments
- 1 red chile, thinly sliced
- 1 granny smith apples cored and sliced
- 1 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 475°F / 240°C.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, halve them lengthwise, and then cut each half again similarly into 3 long wedges. Mix with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and some black pepper. Spread the wedges out, skin side down, on a baking sheet and cook for about 25 minutes, until soft but not mushy. Remove from the oven and leave to cool down.
- To make the balsamic reduction, place the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then decrease the heat and simmer for 2 to 4 minutes, until it thickens. Be sure to remove the pan from the heat when the vinegar is still runnier than honey; it will continue to thicken as it cools. Stir in a drop of water before serving if it does become too thick to drizzle.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on a serving platter. In a separate pan, cook the slice mushrooms by adding a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, cook until the mushrooms are softened. Heat the remaining oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add green onions and chile. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often to make sure not to burn the chile. Spoon the oil, onions, and chile over the sweet potatoes. Dot the figs among the wedges and then drizzle over the balsamic reduction. Serve at room temperature. Crumble the cheese over the top, if using.